We all love our child with special needs, caring for them with all the love we have inside of us…but while love is the biggest most important thing we have going for us in this unexpected journey….there are indeed, other things needed to get us to the finish line! Here are a few we’ve found to help us on our journey:
- BOUNDARIES – Boundaries for our family is so important. We need to know when to say “yes” and when to say “no” not only outside of our family but also with-in our family so that we don’t over-do life because often life is over the top, anyway! We need to have a plan, a routine, and good boundaries helping us all make it day to day.
- SUPPORT – Support of family, friends, therapists, doctors, nurses, aides, teachers, and the list goes on is necessary. As we embrace those who can and will help us, it’s important to welcome them and appreciate them.
- TRUST – Trust in our auxiliary staff, teachers, docs, etc. will help us to rest on this journey. Doing our homework to find the right “team” will help us to trust and rest, and that is a treasure!
- ENCOURAGEMENT – Encouragement helps us to make it day to day. It comes from the teacher who tells us we’re doing a good job helping at home. It’s heard from a doctor who is appreciative of how we care from our child. We hear it from family and friends who see things improving and our child making progress when we are too close to notice it. Oh, it’s so life-giving! Enjoy it!
- GROWTH – Not just our child, but us, too. This journey is one where growth is often very slow, but oh so very rewarding. Take the time to notice when each of you have grown, celebrate it, and keep growing! Keep going!
As we enjoy the month of “love” let’s keep it going with boundaries, support, trust, encouragement and growth. All are great compliments to each other. Enjoy and LOVE the journey!
Dr. Joe and Cindi Ferrini share their newest book: Love All-Ways: Embracing Marriage Together on the Special Needs Journey (order at www.cindiferrini.com). They are authors, speakers, and bloggers for several blogging sites on marriage, family and special needs. They speak nationally for FamilyLife Weekend To Remember Marriage Get-a-Ways, authored Unexpected Journey – When Special Needs Change our Course, and have been interviewed on Focus on the Family, FamilyLife Today, Janet Parshall at “In the Market”, Chris Brooks of “Equipped” and various other radio and television venues. Connect with them at:
and via social media at:
Latest posts by Cindi Ferrini (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why “All You Need is Love” Isn’t All you Need - February 15, 2021
- We Long to Fit In – 7 Ways to Try! - December 21, 2020
- “As Long as the Baby is Healthy” – 10 Reasons Why That Isn’t Most Important - November 16, 2020