When you’re young, you think you have it all figured out – that everything will go just as planned! As a planner, I love when life allows me to live according to my Plan A….but the reality is:
I live in Plan B!
While Plan A is fun to plan, there is adventure and even (at times) excitement when one allows God to orchestrate a different plan that our own…thus…Plan B!
It’s hard for most of us to live in Plan B – primarily because we like things our own way. After all, when we take the time, energy, and sometimes even finances to plan something, it’s nice when it works out. But the problem is this: life seldom turns out like we planned or hoped.
- The postponed vacation because the house needed repairs
- The interview and dream job that the competition gets
- The school play director that overlooks your talent
- A special needs child
- A failed relationship
- Depression (sometimes)
But, if we are open to Plan B, we might exchange ordinary living into something quite exciting! And perhaps our deep disappointments will be transformed into something extraordinary!
No doubt it was shocking and initially disappointing to realize our son would have special needs, but when you fast forward through the diagnosis, the therapies, the doctors, the family issues, the plans that didn’t go as planned…to 33 years later, well….we’ve learned a lot about life!
We’ve developed rich relationships, much patience, endured many late nights, etc. and through all the challenges we began to see the beauty and reality of God’s wonderful Plan B. We’ve become:
More patient (not perfect!)
- More focused on others than ourselves
- More willing to serve – not just when it’s convenient, comfortable and easy, but whenever it’s needed (24/7) and whenever we know it’s the right thing to do
- Friends with some wonderful people who share our journey
- Survivors who’ve lived to tell about it and can help and encourage others
Eventually we learn that Plan A wasn’t as good as Plan B anyways! God can work in and through a life from the challenges of Plan A to a point of celebration in Plan B – soaring above any of the roadblocks we think there are.
We have. You can, too!
Latest posts by Cindi Ferrini (see all)
- What I did RIGHT and WRONG as a MOM! (Happy Mother’s Day!) - May 17, 2021
- Your SECRET or your STORY? - April 19, 2021
- 5 Reasons Why “All You Need is Love” Isn’t All you Need - February 15, 2021