She always wanted a family of “four” – a dad, mom and 2 children. Apparently, her request was heard differently and God gave her TRIPLET GIRLS just days before her son turned two years old: thus a family with 4 kids! God’s sense of humor is really something! As I watched this mom navigate 4 children under the age of 2, I was ALWAYS in amazement. At the time I had 2 children spaced nearly 3years apart and felt challenged!
Somewhere in the time frame that her girls were about 2, I sensed the Lord leading me to do something for the children one Easter. I had something in mind for the boy, but when it came to the little girls, I was tossed between buying them dresses that were the same style, but different colors or all 3 dresses to be the same. Interestingly, each time I set out to make the choice, I just felt like it wasn’t the “right” thing to do. My mind went from “She’ll think YOU think she can’t afford to dress her children,” to “This isn’t the right style, or color, or….” So I asked the Lord to lead me to the right items for the occasion.
The decision making process was much longer than this blog will be as I spent some agonizing time making the right choice and hoping I wasn’t going to insult her in any way because of the thoughts coming into my mind. I found some adorable little gloves and purses. They were both lacier than I had thought to do with the dresses, so I hoped what I chose would be OK. I delivered the gloves and purses along with the gift for the son. I soon received a phone call from the mom, in tears. I thought, “Oh, she’s not happy about this,” “I’ve hurt her feelings,” but her words were, “I went back and forth on what dress to get the girls. After I decided, I just felt like accessories were too much and I just went with the dresses. The gloves and the purses match EXACTLY what I purchased.”
When I consider this story, I recognize how God really cared about the tiniest of details in making those choices and have enjoyed watching how He’s done the same in the life of my son with special needs (as well as his 2 sisters!) The Lord has provided in ways that show His care to detail:
- I was looking for a little bathing suit for my 2 year old Joey. I thought black, white and red would be fun for him. In 2 huge garbage bags full of clothing from a mom whose son had grown out of his size, was a bathing suit for Joey. Want to guess what colors?
- Joey had mostly all Christian teachers and many Christian aides, drivers, and medical people. Each of those people cared for him so very well. Each one knew him and could anticipate his “next move”!
- Each of our parents (Joey’s grandparents) helped us care for Joey. When they were gone, his aunt was so very helpful, and now his sisters. God has always provided.
- God helps get Joey up and down our stairs every day. You’d have to see it!
- One aide talked Joey into eating something “green”! Lettuce, then broccoli!
- His OT worked and worked to get him to ties his shoes. He couldn’t maneuver that, but can he ever play hand games!
Every day and moment by moment we see Joey being cared for in big and little ways by God and others. When we consider how God cares about every detail, we’re so very certain, that when we are gone….God will continue what He started, and in that we have no concerns.
Are their ways you wonder if things will work out for your child with special needs? Do you wonder what will happen when you’re gone someday? Watch for the ways your child is cared for and begin to build your faith and trust in a God who provided. Trust Him for what concerns you…even in the little things.
Dr. Joe and Cindi Ferrini share their newest book: Love All-Ways: Embracing Marriage Together on the Special Needs Journey (order at www.cindiferrini.com). They are authors, speakers, and bloggers for several blogging sites on marriage, family and special needs. They speak nationally for FamilyLife Weekend To Remember Marriage Get-a-Ways, authored Unexpected Journey – When Special Needs Change our Course, and have been interviewed on Focus on the Family, FamilyLife Today, Janet Parshall at “In the Market”, Chris Brooks of “Equipped” and various other radio and television venues. Connect with them at:
and via social media at:
Latest posts by Cindi Ferrini (see all)
- He Turns 40; We Turned the Unexpected Journey Into a Spirit of Adventure! - July 19, 2021
- Are you called to CONNECT or CONFRONT? - June 21, 2021
- What I did RIGHT and WRONG as a MOM! (Happy Mother’s Day!) - May 17, 2021